Diabetes is on the rise but it can be prevented or controlled by a healthy lifestyle. People suffering from Diabetes mellitus can enjoy wide variety of food with very less calories. This means that you can eat same healthy food at mealtime with your family. You need to keep regular check on total calories consumed every day. You should be careful about amount of carbohydrates consumed. There are three main food groups- Carbohydrates, proteins and Fats. You can use exchange system to plan your diet for a diabetic person. Try to consume non-starchy veggies, skimmed milk, lean chicken, high fiber fruits and low glycemic food products.
Healthy Tips for diabetic diet—
- When planning for a diabetic diet, try to plan the diet for whole day. Include snacks, apart from your regular meal.
- Try to consume small portions of food in regular interval of 2hrs.
- Keep regular check on blood pressure, cholesterol and weight of the sufferer.
- Maintain an overall balance between the intake of food and drugs prescribed by the doctor.
- Include more vegetables in your diet so that you will consume fewer simple carbs and saturated fats which increase insulin resistance.
- Eat lot of fruits as it is low in fats, high in fiber and it’s lower in calories than most other foods. They are also a great source of antioxidants.
- Eat sweets with a meal, rather than eaten alone. If you eat sweets along with other healthy foods as a part of your meal, your blood sugar won’t rise as rapidly.
- Take unsaturated fats which come from fish and plant source. Consume omega-3 fatty acid, which fight inflammation and support brain and heart health.
- Do regular exercise and consume good amount of water every day.
- Don’t smoke and stop alcohol consumption.
- Limit salt in the diet.
- Don’t skip meal and medicine times.
- Avoid ready to eat food, sweet and sugary drinks.